Streamer Noise ? ? ? What causes the noise???

Original poster: dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com

Sure, we know that electric arc noise is caused by the rapid increase in
temperature of surrounding air and the inherent shock waves created by this
expansion, but what is it about spark gap type
coils that makes the streamers so loud, whereas arcs from a VTTC or SSTC can
be completely silent?    (I'm not talking about the spark gap either.  Lets
assume the spark gap is completely sound
insulated)  Is is the transient - intermittent peak power nature of the
spark gap coils???  Does that mean a continous streamer would be comletely
silent???

The Captain