My question is ...  Can the portion of  the variac with the blackend wire
be repaired ???

here are the options I have thought of so far as repair....

remove wire and replace making solder joints long as possible on the
outside of core....  file new flat on new wire..  labor intensive  not my
first choice   but minimal cost.

break down variac,  wire brush burnt varnish and soak the hell out of it
with Glyptol / varnish/ etc   and hope the wire isnt shorted between turns
...     risky proposal ... 50/50 chance it might work.....

send it out to be repaired ....    Costly

buy another variac    Very Costly

ask everyone here if they have better ideas for repair....   or if anyone
has a Powerstat 1256D for sale....

hoping a grave for the variac wont be needed...

Scot D