Re: High Voltage / High Inductance Inductors

Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren-at-iinet-dot-net.au>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 7:53 AM
Subject: High Voltage / High Inductance Inductors

 > Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>
 >

 > I'm looking at trying to build a high voltage / high inductance inductor
 > for use in a DC power supply
 > application for filtering.
 >
 > Has anyone here made something like a 1H to 5H inductor which is rated
 > for about 10-20kV ???
 > If so, I'd like to hear from you and some details of how you built this,
 > what type of cores you found
 > to work best, and any other information.

Hi Dan
Many high voltage transformers I've seen divide their secondary windings
into series connected pancake coils with an insulating spacer. I have seen
off line microwave oven supplies with 3 or so of these on the HV side of the
transformer (often with Litz wire as well).

Cheers
Peter (Tesla Downunder)
http://members.iinet-dot-net.au/~pterren
Geek Group ID#1601