Re: VTTC Resistor Values And Transformers

Original poster: "Steven Ward" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Hi Adam

If there is one thing thats not critical in a VTTC, its the tolerance of
the components.  The parts i list were what i had on hand.  Sure 33 ohms
will work just fine... the original that i copied was a 25ohm part.  That
resistor will not get very warm at all, my 20w rating is overkill.  So
winding some 14 or 16ga wire over a round resistor doesnt sound like much
of a task to me...  number of turns is not all to critical either, go for
maybe 12 through 20 turns.  Its just a choke to keep really high frequency
stuff out.

About the gridleak resistor.  At the moment, im using 3.33k as opposed to
5k, it seemed to make some improvement.  Really, 4.7k is just fine to start
with, or perhaps you want the flexibility that 5 1k resistor give.  Your
coil may only want a 2k resistance there!  you wont know these things until
you try them out.

I got my big filament transformer at Fair Radio Sales (but i imagin you are
in the UK or somewhere in Europe?).  It was a big 20v 20a monster that i
found i could rewire for 12v at 20a.  Then, i opened it up and removed i
think 3 or 4 turns on the secondary for a solid 10.2v at 125vac input (it
helps to account for the high line voltage i often have here).  Perhaps
ebay might have some, but i remember them selling for a lot.  My
transformer was only US$20.

Good luck!

Steve Ward