Re: Calculating streamer breakout of top-loads

Original poster: "Rikard Titus" <rikard_titus-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>Original poster: "Gerry Reynolds" <gerryreynolds-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>
> > >John's empirical spark length formula of 1.7 sqrt (power) is based on
> > >xformer input power not the power delivered thru the spark gap. Is this
>
> > I am not familiar with this formula.Provide me with link/more info .
>
> > >If so, seems like1940 watts at the spark gap could mean
> > >3000W xformer input power
>
>This is John Freau's equation that is mentioned frequently in the group.  I
>don't have a link.  A search might provide one.  I think it is based on
>transforer input power (in VA) and don't know if there are caveats such as a
>specific group of transformers.

Why in VA ?I'm puzzled now.You know that you could draw many VA with zero
Tesla watts and get no sparks.Extreme cases when gap fails to fire.
Ok.Some calculations:
L=1.7sqrt(3000)=93"

Observed were 80" long sparks with 3600 VA  ,how does that can be treated
by the formula?

> > Hey wait a minute!
> > If PT losses 34 % of a real power,than it means it is mature for garbage
>!
> > -Rik
>
>I'm sorry, I meant 3000VA instead of watts and this is probably before
>ballast for the PT.

Ok.This makes more sense.
I may imagine that "badly choice of resistive" ballast could waste 50 % of
avilable power.
Functional PT in decent loading conditions-no way.
If PT does that thing ,than it is a junkyard candidate by all criteria of mine.

regards,
Rik
kind regards

-Rik