Re: Over-voltage at Synchronous Gap ? ? ?

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

HI Dan,

On 14 Sep 2003, at 19:20, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com
 >
 > I am having some interesting phenomenon occur at the safety gap I have at my
 > SRSG gap.
 >
 > If I adjust my SRSG to the point of which (should yield 75% to 100% maximum
 > voltage at primary capacitor), i get firing of my safety gap with
 > loud bangs (which are likely because the MMC is discharging into the safety
 > gap)  The safety gap is adjusted slightly larger than the no-load voltage
 > on the NST.  I am confused to why this gap is firing as I am using a LTR
 > type capacitor and didn't think i could get over-voltages using a SRSG.
 >
 > Any thoughts??

I suppose the key question is: how much larger than resonant? The
circuit isn't rendered instantly non-resonant by use of a larger
capacitor, rather the frequency changes which can still allow some
resonant rise if the change is not big enough. This is assisted by
some energy storage in the transformer leakage inductance.

Malcolm