Re: How do you measure coupling

Hi Mike,

At 11:48 PM 9/16/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi All
>
>It`s been a wile since I last posted to the list but the UK list has kind
>of taken off.

Is there a UK list too?  Cool!!  I may be the last person on Earth to know :oD

>My 3 coil maggie experiments are coming along in leaps and bounds,
>mind you it`s nothing Richard Hull & the TCBOR have not already done.
>
>This might be a basic question but I NEED TO ASK IT....
>
>How do I measure the coupling between the primary and the secondary.
>I can get hold of a sig gen and a scope, I`v no idea how to operate these
>two bits of kit, I need the basics and some theory..

Honestly, no one "measures" that anymore.  Computer programs can give
numbers closer than you can measure (1%):

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Programs/MANDKV31.ZIP

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Programs/MANDKV31.PDF

I think Paul and Antonio (?) have independent programs too.  I remember
comparing their errors, and it was "tiny"...

If you really need to do it, see this:

http://www.pupman-dot-com/listarchives/1997/november/msg00898.html

Cheers,

         Terry