Re: Battery power for big SSTC

Original poster: Matthew Smith <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

Hi All

Hee, hee!  Looks like I wasn't the only one thinking down this road!

If you need hefty cable, I once made some serious jump leads using welding
cable - lots and lots of copper, no heating even when cranking a 3.3
Perkins diesel for *ages*.

I know that scrap batteries come in various conditions, but the garage from
where I got them was so glad for me to take them away that they actually
used an electronic tester which simluates starts and everything so that I
got a pretty decent set of batteries for my inverter.

Regarding charging, a bridge rectified 240V (isolated by two identical MOT
primaries on one core?) will give us 240V, or enough to charge 24 batteries
in series with a charging voltage of 13.8V per battery.  That would give us
a healthy 288V with which to feed our SSTC.  If we looked at only 100A
discharge, that would give us an input power of just over 28kW which would
take a fair amount of silicon to switch!

Those in 110V land could charge series/parallel to try to keep the voltage
up and the current down.

I've been wondering whether we could use a supply like this to drive an
inverter using four or six pack MOTs for a conventional coil.  Anyone got
any experience with using MOTs with anything but a sine wave?

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith
Kadina Business Consultancy