Re: [tesla] Re: Battery power for big SSTC

Original poster: davep <davep-at-quik-dot-com>

>>As far as abusing the batteries, so what don't we abuse?

>When pushed to "dead-short" type limits, some car batteries do not go
>quietly, and clean up is a pain.
         Read And Heed.

         Batteries store a LOT of energy.
         If provoked they can give it back REAL QUICK.
         The results can be indistinguishable from a b*mb.
         (I've never done it/had it happen, but have spoke to
         those who have.  notably a retired diesel-battery submariner.
         He was involved ina 'main battery incident'.
         (details available, however nontesla...).  It Took
         _months_ to get the boat back together.)

         A big series bank has particular issues, as if one cell in

         the middle drops out/reverses it can start DISSIPATING
         power, rapidly.  Also: the bank can deliver '1000A'.  Many
         Fuses, etc, will no interupt that, especially at DC.

         It can be done.
         It is a disticnt skill set, probably better planned for
         than learnt 'the hard way',  Boiling Sulphuric Acid,
         propelled at high velocity is harmful to people and other
         living things...

--
         best
         dwp

...the net of a million lies...
         Vernor Vinge
         -me
...for he has read everything, and written nothing...
         A J Raffles