Re: My new secondary

Original poster: John <fireba8104-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi MCP,
look up a guy called Wiremaker on ebay. He will usually has a couple ten
pound spools for sale.
Cheers,
John

Original poster: The MCP

Well, I've finally decided to move out of the freak show, and built a far more
normal secondary coil: I found a piece of 4" ABS pipe that was just the right
size, 22 inches long. So I took it out to the garage and drilled a pair of
holes in it to start/end winding, and put 21" worth of wire on it.

The problem is, the only thing immediately on hand was a huge 5000 foot roll
of 22 gauge normal wire (meaning .023 inches of wire, with enough plastic to
make each turn .05 inches wide. So my hopes for a more desirable turn rating
of 800+ were lost. The only other thing I have enough of is that 32 gauge
magnet wire, and it would have been *far* too many turns (Not to mention far
too many years of my life to wind :).

So while I look around for 22-25 gauge magnet wire, I'm using 420 turns of
ordinary stranded wire. Everything else is exactly the same except, of
course, for the number of turns on the primary.

I've found that fres is ~450Khz unloaded (While I look for a toroid), meaning
no touchie at all! Conveniently, I've found that the ABS pipe is just big
enough to sit on top of the wooden donut that holds my helical primary in
place. Currently, I've gotten sparks from 4-4.5" long off the top of it.

I hazard to guess that I've probably got a dangerously low coupling
coefficient, and the usual issues getting a topload. Plus, can someone help
me get a hold of a 1000+ foot roll of 22 gauge wire? The common 1-pound rolls
are only a little more than half of what I need!

Thanks to all on the list!