Re: Bulk Order 15kW SSTC Boards

Original poster: dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com

The 10kW rating is based upon the PlasmaSonic II operating with IXFN68N50
FETs and on simulations and maximum component stress analysis for 10kW
level.
For 10kW operation, FETs are using a 60% derating on current, and about 70%
on voltage.  Other components are rated simularily and I try to use NAVSO
deratings
if possible.  I am also assuming that a certain junction temperature on the
FETs is not exceeded and that proper cooling is provided for the power
levels necessary for running.
For example, for 10kW (which is ALOT of power), a liquid cooled heatsink
would work best making sure the cold plate (heatsink) maintains at least
25-30 degC temperature.

Sure, a liquid cooled heatsink may seem complicated, but how many people are
going to actually try to run this at 10kW.  About 99% of the individuals
using this board will
almost definitely run under 1kW (CW mode) and even less when going
half-rectified.

I would not recommend using the IXFN44N50 for 10kW operation, although
Justin has claimed to achieved 7kW power using that (or very similar) FET.

Dan