Re: SRSG and Terry filter overheating

Original poster: Mark Broker <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

.011uF is almost precisely the resonant capacitor value for your NST.  With
a SRSG and your modified NST you could easily run up to about .030uF. (LTR
for a 15/60 is .0277uF)  Resonant rise, safety gaps set too wide, and poor
SRSG timing was the cause of the Terry Filter demise.  Of course the good
news is that $15 in MOVs you can buy from anywhere need to be replaced and
not your NST and/or caps!

For an explanation of resonant rise, see Richie Burnett's
site:  http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/tesla.shtml
see the Resonant Charging section.

I would definately add more primary capacitance.  I have to recommend, of
course, the ubiquitous Geek Group Bucket Cap or the Geek MMC caps:
http://www.thegeekgroup-dot-org/projects/bucketcap
http://www.thegeekgroup-dot-org/mmc
But of course any "normal" TC cap will suffice.

Cheers,

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group