Re: Mini-coils?

Original poster: Bart Anderson <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>

Hi Chris, DC,

I stopped in to EMCO High Votlage Corporation Tuesday, but the application
engineers were not around. I called early Wednesday and talked to Charles,
an application engineer. These HV converters are pretty small on current
(~2mA). I discussed the possibility of paralleling, and he agreed it can be
done, but these converters are affected by biasing votlages internal. They
have internal oscillation for the transformer action required, but the bias
is affected when they are paralleled or when transient events are seen by
the device. They are not "designed" to cut out, but do because the
oscillation bias is affected. The converters would have to be balanced with
some type of external circuitry to stabilize the device, but he hasn't
performed such a task himself. These converters are designed for pcb
mounting which is the bread and butter for EMCO (that is where the
knowledge base is).

One could work with these to stabilize the device (balancing and
filtering), but they are pretty small on current. I think it would take
some experimental work to get these working, and there is still no
gaurantee. Might be more trouble than it's worth.

Not sure if this helps. You may want to talk to an application engineer:
EMCO High Voltage Corporation
(209) 223-3626

Take care,
Bart