RE: Bulk Order 15kW SSTC Boards - Heatsinks Room Temperature

Original poster: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

I concur with Dan... Yes, there's a bit of mechanical fabrication involved
in any liquid cooling exercise, but, once you've done it once, you'll know
how to do it for the future, and liquid cooling is very nifty.  You can run
very high power densities, and have a very large radiator, so you don't
need cooling fans.  If you're building something that dissipates hundreds
(or thousands) of watts, pretty soon you decide:
a) You don't want that heat in the room with you
b) You aren't particularly interested in hearing the whine of high pressure
cooling fans.

The "overclocker" business has had the nice side effect of making available
inexpensive heat transfer blocks with hose fittings on them.

You also need to find a source for reliable(!) quiet pumps.  The new
magnetically driven submersible fountain pumps work nicely, but I wish I
could find them cheaper (but, then, I haven't done much looking).

If you're going to get interested in liquid cooling, start looking around
for surplus/scrap dehumidifiers.  They're easily modified into liquid
chillers.  A second best is a small bar refrigerator (about $100 for the 4
cu ft versions at the discounters, brand new), but they're bulky and not
easily cannibalized (they put the condenser coils in the side walls!). The
evaporator (the cold part) also is sort of inconvenient for coupling to the
liquid transfer medium, although I think a bit of "sawzall" work might
help. My most recent liquid cooling project is cooling several hundred
bottles of wine using a modified 4 cuft refrigerator.

For HV projects, the idea of immersing the entire board in oil that is
cooled is sort of attractive.. insulation and cooling, all in one step.