Re: New to tesla coils

Original poster: Mark Broker <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

I see the other two Wisconsinites have already posted in detail (Dave Weiss
and Dr. R). :)

The MMC caps on our site are arguably the best performance per dollar
option.  Beer bottle or wine bottle caps will work very well, but the
streamers will be a bit shorter and more purple than an MMC.  Our beer
bottle Bucket Caps are just about the right size for a 12/60 or 15/60
NSTs.  Info on our Bucket Cap and MMC sales is at:
http://www.thegeekgroup-dot-org/projects/bucketcap
http://www.thegeekgroup-dot-org/mmc

I would recommend using a 4" PVC pipe for the secondary with about 1400
turns of 26 gage wire.  Quite a few others have used it, and is "about the
right size" for 60mA NSTs.  In fact, my current TC project uses this design
with a 12/60....  I wouldn't push a 4" secondary past about 1.2kVA intput,
so if you want more power later, you'd probably have to build a new
secondary and perhaps even a new primary coil.  (You'll probably want to
build new ones before long anyway ;)

Variacs aren't a necessity, but are a really good idea, especially for the
initial tuning process.  FWIW, a variac can usually be pushed to about
twice its rating with a low duty cycle.  If you can't find or afford one
(check out swap meets and ham fests), a standard incandescent light bulb in
series with the NST input makes a suitable replacement.

As for total cost, it all depends on what output you want, what materials
you want to use, how much of this you have in the workshop, and how much
time you're willing to devote to getting inexpensive parts.  It's amazing
how quickly $8.00 parts add up...

With a 15kV/30mA  NST, a good static gap (check out Gary Lau's
vacuum/sucker gap), MMC and careful tuning, you should expect about
20"-25".  With 60mA, probably 35"-40".  The "optimum TC" would give about
36" and 52", respectively, but it takes experience and the right parts to
get there....

Cheers,
Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group