Re: Toroid on CW TC

Original poster: "Steven Ward" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

It seems to me that VTTCs and SSTCs like to have SOME extra capacitance
added to their self capacitance.  In recent tests i did i compared 3
situations.  1) a 190khz coil using a small toroid to achieve 21" sparks.
2) the same coil but without a toroid: sparks only some 12" or so.  3) a
smaller coil WITH toroid to come close to the Fres of the unloaded coil (in
ex 2) :sparks averaging about 16" or so.  So it looks like frequency helps
sparks, BUT also a small amount of terminal capacitance helps.  I dont
really know the theory behind this and how it relates to CW coils.

Steve Ward