Re: 19.9 kV 10KVA pole pig

Original poster: Charles Brush <cfbrush-at-interport-dot-net>

>Original poster: "Newell Jensen" <pillar2012-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>Hey all,
>
>I have been searching to buy a pole pig and there is a place that has new
>copper winding 19.9 kV 10KVA polemount transformers.  I was wondering if
>anyone has dealt with one this size considering the fact that most seem to
>use the 14.4 kV pigs and if they have any suggestions.  Curious as to the
>pros and cons that anyone might forsee.  Thanks mucho.
>
>Newell Jensen

Hi,

I have been using a19.9kV 15kVA pole transformer for about seven years now
and am quite happy with it (also have some 14.4kV pigs and PTs).  With a
19.9kV unit you want to allow a little more safety margin in your cap
specs. I run a pair of Maxwells in series with mine.  Other than that a
little extra voltage is always a plus, provided you are not getting up into
the range where corona can be a problem (somewhere over 20kV).  One note
though, the bushings on my 19.9kV unit are basically the same as those on
my 14.4kV units (which are not small!).  Not sure what the problem was at
that one rebuilding shop that someone wrote about.

Zap!

Charles Brush
http://www.VoltNet-dot-com