RE: Spark length vs. toroid size (was RE: Newbe Question)

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau-at-hp-dot-com>

I have also found that up to some difficult-to-predict-in-advance point,
performance always improves with larger top loads.

Gary Lau
MA, USA

Original poster: "Steve Conner" <steve.conner-at-optosci-dot-com>

  >My 3.5kW tesla coil
  >uses 4" PVC and is capable of 6-8 foot arcs depending on the toroid I use.

That's interesting that your output changes by 2ft depending on the size of
the toroid. Is the toroid the only thing you're altering or are you using a
bigger bang energy too?

Do others find that changing the toroid size makes such a big difference?

The reason I ask is because I'm hoping to get 6ft+ sparks from the OLTC II
by sticking a bigger toroid on and upping the tank capacitance. Recent
findings suggest that I'm being too nice to my IGBTs.

(eg Greg Leyh's IGBT modulator work, and this Review Of Scientific
Instruments paper

http://depts.washington.edu/rppl/papers/multi%20megawatt%20solid%20state.pdf

where they drive 400A IGBTs at 3000A)

Steve C.