Re: Simple Spark Gap Designs

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

On 14 Apr 2004, at 18:46, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "john cooper" <tesla-at-tesla-coil-dot-com>
 >
 > I've compared the performance of gaps with both even and odd numbers
 > of gaps and the difference is nothing short of amazing when you use a
 > static gap with an even number of gaps.  Specifically, a 5 gap and a 6
 > gap system, back to back test.  The 6 gap fired at 20v which was less
 > than half the voltage required of the 5 gap unit and ran much, much
 > smoother.  Hope this helps someone.

The 20V figure can't be correct can it?? Was the total gaplength the
same for both combinations? Have you compared an 8 gap with a 7 gap?
7 with 6? I have steadily tapped along a series of gaps in the past
and saw nothing that made me leap out of my seat.

Malcolm