Re: Redesigning/tuning a coil

The nails will rapidly heat to red hot and then they don't quench (open the
circuit to let the sec ring freely) very well.  You might try replacing the
nails with 3/8th inch rounded carriage bolt heads.  These work good as a
sparkgap for smaller coils on a budget.  Use 2-3 gaps and experiment with a
100 CFM muffin fan behind them to see if increased airflow provides better
quenching and better spark output from sec.

With the doorknobs keep you runtime short --- 15 sec bursts.  Depending on
the dielectric type they will heat up and may not take the harsh 95% voltage
reversals common in TC oscillator circuits.

MMC caps are inexpensive at $3 each and will do a great job.  Contact the
"Geek Group" website for more info.

Sounds like you're off to a great start.  Have fun.

Dr. Resonance