Re: Sync Motor Wanted

Original poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 4/17/04 12:01:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> >I'll be running a 15/120 supply consisting of two 15/30's which have been
> >deshunted and put in parallel.  From what I hear ASRSG kill NSTs very
> >easily...  Does the SRSG really increase spark length/performance that
>much?
> >
> >Regards - Jim Mitchell

Jim,

An SRSG should be able to outperform an ASRSG, but the SRSG
requires a more careful design.  The cap value must be proper for
the particular breakrate and input power used.  The SRSG can
probably outperform only at 120 or 100 bps, not at higher
synchronous breakrates.  In any case there will not be a large
difference in performance most likely.  ASRSGs seem to destroy
NST's whereas SRSGs seem to protect them from my experience.
If you use a Terry filter and don't let the breakrate go too low, the
NSTs may survive with an ASRSG.  Whether the NST survives
also depends on the cap value (LTR or resonant, and degree of LTR).
Both ASRSGs and static gaps are more tolerant of a range of
capacitor values.  In my old research coil, I was able to get about
10% more spark length using an SRSG compared to a static gap,
and the SRSG sparks were a lot brighter and more spectacular
looking using the SRSG.  SRSGs seem to be particularly good
when limited power is available.  When more power is available,
the ASRSGs advantages may show up more; variations in sound and
spark appearance as the rpm's are varied.

John