Re: stacking variacs

Original poster: "Scott Hanson" <huil888-at-surfside-dot-net>

David -

There's a high probability that your binding is being caused by the spacers
not being of identical length. Unless they were cut off using a lathe with a
fixed stop, they will need to be individually measured to make sure they all
match. Because of the large distance across the variac frame, even a small
variation in spacer length can introduce enough of a angle between the two
variac frames, or distort the frames, to cause binding.

You could eliminate the spacers and just use multiple sets of nuts and flat
washers on the all-thread rod to set the spacing and alignment between the
variacs. This would take a little time to get the alignment set, but would
allow adjustment to a perfect no-bind condition for the drive shaft.

Another approach that will accommodate ALL angular misalignments form ALL
sources is to cut the drive shaft in half and place a flexible shaft
coupling between the variacs. The rubber-biscuit type shaft coupling will
easily accommodate the misalignment that is causing your binding, and is
relatively inexpensive. See McMaster-Carr's website for many different types
of shaft couplings.

Regards,
Scott Hanson