Re: Machining

Original poster: Matthew Smith <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

Ed Wingate wrote:
>Titanium nitride coated tools are worth the extra cost for many
>applications.

My (limited) experience of drilling G10 PCB stock with a cheap'n'nasty
drill press (the Aussie equivalent of one a US 'Harbor Freight' machine)
confirms this.  Although for the sub-1mm holes, I have to use carbide bits
with an oversized shank, as they are all I can get.  It's an expensive job
as the play on the chuck causes a lot of breakages.  1mm+, I have a set of
TiN coated bits.  These are just beau-u-u-tiful on PCB stock, cut fast,
don't break* and leave good, clean holes.

I would extrapolate this out to be good for RSG rotors of similar materials.

Cheers

*I had to go and say it, eh?  My next drilling job is doomed ;-)

--
Matthew Smith
Kadina Business Consultancy