Distrubution box and the earth wire

Original poster: "Bob Jones" <alwynj-at-earthlink-dot-net>

I just moved in to a new office in Florida and I am trying to make certain
the earthling is good and solid. Perhaps somebody can help explain some
things for me

The main switch breaker and meter  is apparently supplied by just two drop
lines from a nearby pole. No 0v or earth from the pole that I can
see.  There is a bare copper wire running from the main breaker/meter box
to a ground rod.

Entering  the distribution/breaker box I have two black wires at 120v each
relative to a white apparently 0v/neutral. The is 0v/neutral bus bar that
looks insulated from the metal case but no earth bus bar and no income
earth connection wire or for that matter outgoing. One disused connection
had the only earth wire that was in there and that was connected to the
0v/neutral bus bar with its neutral wire.

I do have some three pin sockets and wonder what the earth pin is connected
to. I will check that out first thing tomorrow.

Am I missing something how can I only have two drop lines from the pole and
still have 120v 0v 120v in the box or does it use the ground for the 0v
return.  I was expecting to find  a 0v/neutral and an independent earth
connection.

What should I have in box?
If it is supposed to contain 0v/neutral and earth(connected  to an ground
rod) should they be tied together at one point?
If its ok for it not to contain an independent earth do I just connected
the earths of the sockets to the 0v/neutral anywhere I like?

I will also attaempt to open the rusty main box tomorow to find out what
the white wire connects to.

Thanks in advance Bob