Re: 1 mosfet SSTC

Original poster: Fucian-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 4/28/2004 2:32:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
Nope it was a REAL SSTC spiting 5 inch or so sparks.

Best Regards

Kreso Bukvic

I have built a simple sstc using a 555 and a  single MOSFET and mine would
spit out powerful 7inchers...Just use a 555 with variable frequency and
duty cycle and have it buffered by either a drive chip or some transistors
in totem pole...

Have it drive a good MOSFET with some capacitor across it for protection...

This will give you nice results(simple though)...You could add another 555
or use a 556 to pulse the 555 on and off(staccato?) to get different effects...

My sstc was: 4.5indiam by 15in long secondary of 28awg wire on PVC...My
secondary was just 22awg hookup wire( i forget turns, but you need to
fidget anyways to make it suit your coil) wound directly over the secondary
with tape for insulation!I used a variac and half-wave DC for the
coil...Dont push it!The primary will arc over and the MOSFET will also get
spikes eventually causing death!Keep it simple with about 3-4inchers...

Matt