Re: Salvaging blower/fan for spark gap

Original poster: Jan Wagner <jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi>

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, Tesla list wrote:
 > Original poster: pepperman-at-softhome-dot-net
 >
 > Does anyone have ideas about where I could salvage a good blower
 > for an RQ/TCBOR style spark gap (using 6" PVC)?  I thought
 > perhaps the blower from a microwave oven, but I'm not sure if it's
 > powerful enough.  Maybe a hair blow dryer?  Any other ideas about
 > old equipment I might be able to salvage the blower from--preferably
 > stuff that would be going into the landfill?

Any air blower. If it's too weak, stack up MORE. ;-)

Building ventilation / air conditioning often has nice big fans (maybe
TOO big...) Or vacuum cleaners. Paint strippers (those beefier "hair
dryers"). Microwave oven blowers are quite strong too, should be powerful
enough. Then, multiple 12V++ brushless DC motors from PC's and PC power
supplies and really old network routers/switches/hubs. And even a
dead welding supply _might_ contain a good fan. Motor cooling fans from
junk car yards (maybe a bit too large). Just to name a few.

cheers,
  - Jan

--
  Helsinki University of Technology
  Dept. of Electrical and Communications Engineering