Re: early rotary gap

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com
 >
 > In a message dated 3/21/04 7:27:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
 > tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
 >
 >  > Original poster: Mike <megavolts61-at-yahoo-dot-com>
 >  >
 >  > Isn't it akin to sacrilege to use anything invented my Marconi in Tesla
 >  > coil construction...even if it's a good invention?   lol
 >  > Mike
 >  >

 > Only among the anally fundamentalist and avid sports-fan mentalities.
 > Although they were intellectual adversaries, Leibnitz's notation is used
 > everywhere today in "Newton's calculus". Marconi's wireless application of
 > Hertzian waves was practical, and Tesla's atmospheric and terrestrial
 > transmission methods are still not.
 >
 > Matt D.

	Add Heaviside's expressions for "Maxwell's Equations"; neater by far
than the original.  As for Marconi, remember that he got interested in
"Hertzian waves", tried to educate himself and then went to Professor
Righi, and went on to experimental work which quite rapidly led to
practical communications.  He then went ahead to provide commercial
services while continuing experiments, all at a very early age.  He was
both an inventor (and copier, we all are) and very effective
entrepeneur.  (The fact his had family scotch distillery money to
support his work didn't hurt a bit.] In contrast Tesla was brilliant and
innovative but never brought any of his stuff to commercial fruition,
which was Marconi's real contribution - he provided much needed
communication services.

	For those who have read Leland Anderson's book on Tesla there are
tantalizing statements from Tesla implying he did do message
transmissions (photos of his equipment are interesting), or more
properly propagation experiments.  Never came to anything and his
experiments appear to have been about the same time as Marconi's.  Those
who condemn Edison and Marconi haven't really done their homework.  Both
brought things to the public which probably would have come along years
later if it hadn't been for them.

Ed