Re: D5000 - B Luxtrol variac

Original poster: "Harold Weiss" <hweiss-at-new.rr-dot-com>

Hi David,

I have some of the Luxtrol D6000 dimmers, which are the 1156 Powerstat
(0-120V, 50A)  Are your's taper wound like mine?  If so, the second winding
kicks in at the 50% area and really gives a noticeable kick in performance
when reached.  I traded a bunch of the D2500 (1-120V, 20.8A) to Dr. R, and
he has run them at 30A without much heating. (I wouldn't recommend)  The
D5000 is the current version of the D6000, with the D6000 and D2500 being
obsolete since the mid 60s.  The D6000s I have are set up for lever
actuation in the old style of theatrical lighting systems of that day.  The
D6000 uses the 1156 brush, and the D2500 bursh can be modified from the
1156. (1/2 of the split brush (in archives))  Since Luxtrol does not seem to
make a 6KW dimmer anymore, (common theatrical dimmer size) I think they may
have downrated the D5000.  Getting that dimmer at under $75 was a great
find.  I got my D6000s and D2500s for $60 and $30 each and had to rip them
out of the dimmer board.

David E Weiss