Re: strange vttc

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Steve,

On 30 Mar 2004, at 11:17, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Steven Ward" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>
 >
 > I think VTTCs have this magic instability in their operation that
 > makes the idea of fine tuning go out the window for a moment.  I once
 > substituted a 3nf tank cap in for my 2nf cap, and i figured i would
 > tune at several fewer turns.  Well, when all was said and done, i
 > ended up only 1 turn less than before! even though my tank cap was 50%
 > larger!  Whats the deal with that???

How many turns did you end up with? Inductance does vary with the
square of the number of turns to a crude approximation (for less than
ideally lumped coils). The tolerance of the cap may also have played
a prominent part in the result.

   I think also that the Q of the
 > tank will play a large roll in how things work out and how close you
 > must get the tuning.  Some of my VTTCs will tune to a very wide
 > variety of tap points, others will not.  I think part of it has to do
 > with the feedback and its RC circuit getting in with the mix of
 > things.

And probably also the degree of coupling between primary and
secondary.

Malcolm

   At the moment i havent thought about it enough to really give