Re: RE: strange vttc

Original poster: DRIEBEN-at-midsouth.rr-dot-com

Randy,

----- Original Message -----
From: Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Date: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 8:55 am
Subject: RE: strange vttc

 > Original poster: "Randy & Lori" <rburney6-at-comcast-dot-net>
 >
 > Instead of a HV probe, couldn't one just wire several resistors in
 > series, read the drop across one of them and just apply Ohm's/
 > Kirchhoff's law? Maybe those 10M resistors used for draining the
 > primarycaps? Three resistors will give 1/3 of the applied voltage
 > across any
 > single resistor; 4 resistors-1/4.

Yes, this will work, as long as you make sure that the resistance
values of the resistors are basically equal.

  If you think the 4000V label
 > might be
 > correct, go with 5 resistors, a 1000V meter could do that one.  I
 > don'tknow why I haven't done this myself, I have been putting
 > 120VAC into the
 > HV windings and measuring the output of the low voltage side, and
 > figuremy ratios.  I'm not sure how accurate this is, but it seems
 > to be pretty
 > close.

Yes, I've done his myself and it seems to give a pretty decent
"ballpark" figure on the output voltage of the transformer. Example:

120 volts into the HV windings of a 12000 volt transformer should
yield about 1.2 volts on the low voltage side of the transformer
since there is a 100:1 turns ratio.

 > Randy

David Rieben