Fw: Primary to primary sparking?

Original poster: "John Richardson" <jprich-at-up-dot-net>

Hi Chris,

I looked at your picture again, and it appears that you are using wire
staples to hold your primary directly against your wooden base.  If you are
in a damp climate, or your base is painted with something even remotely
conductive, this could also cause some issues.  Just another thought.

John Richardson

 > Hi Chris,
 >
 > I've got a few thoughts, which may or may not help.  I am going to guess
 > that you are tapping at a relatively small number of turns, and that your
 > turn to turn spacing is on the small side, say under a 1/4 inch.  I've
found
 > this to be a big mistake.  Try to keep turn spacing 3/8 or better.  It
seems
 > at higher power levels, when tapped at low turn numbers, that the easiest
 > path for energy dissipation can sometimes be the next turn as opposed to
the
 > secondary.  This will especially be pronounced if you are out of tune,
which
 > the lack of streamers leads me to believe.  Are you sure that your tapping
 > mechanism isn't coming within a hair's width of the adjacent turn?  This
 > will also cause your problem.  BTW, what is your power source, and what
type
 > of gap are you using?  All I can make out from the picture is a glowing
UFO

<http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/P1010077.JPG>http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/P101