From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Sunday, August 01, 2004 6:15 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Dr R's 16KV 300ma transformer

Original poster: "Hydrogen18" <hydrogen18-at-bellsouth-dot-net>

I guess shunted transformers can be done right(although the only other
kind
I can think of are welders, which dont really matter much as long as
they
burn well). But with my 4 pack I have a HUGE magnetizing current(1600
watts!). I guess part can attributed to bad power factor and the fact
that
the cores are running at 70000+ lines of flux per sq inch. But why dont
all
transformers have shunts? I know the winding over winding method
prevents
the use of them, but I'm sure shunts could save more than one small
transformer which was accidentally shorted/wired wrong/etc.

---Eric