Re: A reVOLTing development.

 > Original poster: "Christopher 'CajunCoiler' Mayeux" <cajuncoiler-at-cox-dot-net>
 >

 > So if I were to go with a 16.67nf MMC
 > (9x.15uF), re-tapping the primary at
 > 10-11 turns, I should be back in tune,
 > with a 3.75 joule bang... as opposed
 > to the original 8.82nF MMC with 1.98
 > joule bangs.  Or am I off the mark again?

Yes on the 16.7 nf, but be careful on the string of 9.  Nine is OK, I think,
if each is rated at 3KVdc.   I use strings of 14 - 2KVdc caps and I feel
comfortable with that for a 15KVrms transformer (over 21KVpeak).  You will
find different opinions on voltage ratings amonst the group.  Also don't
exceed the peak current rating of the cap.  Total peak current (assuming no
losses) will be:

Imax = Vmax / sqrt (Lp/Cp)

This current will split between the number of strings either equally (if all
strings are alike) or unequally if the string capacitance differs between
strings.  For example, the current thru string 1 (of 3) strings will be:

Ipeak_1 = Imax * C1/(C1+C2+C3)

Gerry R.