Re: House wiring and transformer voltage regulation

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

On 3 Aug 2004, at 17:05, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Hydrogen18" <hydrogen18-at-bellsouth-dot-net>
 >
 > Although I have never done precise measurements per say let me say
 > this. I have a pc running in my room, with 3 monitors on it(current
 > unknown) along with 2-3 100 watt bulbs. If I plug in a hairdryer it
 > drops voltage so far my UPS kicks(I remember testing it with a variac
 > and remembering that it cut in at 110 volts).

Sounds like an unacceptable voltage drop to me. I guess your nomial
mains supply is 120V? If so, that represents a 9% drop which
indicates to me that either your wiring is defficient or you have
contact problems at or near the switchboard or possibly an aged pole
fuse. Something will be heating in an unintended place.

 > I know shunts are used in welders to limit current, and the constant
 > current charateristics they provide are desirable. In terms of voltage
 > regulation, how does a transformer limited with a series inductor
 > limiting current differ from one with internal shunts(poor coupling)?

They are pretty much the same thing and the equivalent circuit of
perfect transformer and uncoupled inductor is the same for both. Note
that the poor coupling is actually a function of relative winding
placement. If the primary and secondary were wound over the same pole
leg, the shunting wouldn't do a great deal.

Malcolm