Re: Polarized HV/ what's + and what's -

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq-at-uol-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "David Rieben" <drieben-at-midsouth.rr-dot-com>
 > but I simply can't remeber for sure. I think Antonio de
 > Quieros was talking about this once. Can anyone tell
 > me which polarity will form more corona and arc further
 > at a given DC voltage?

Negative corona leaks more easily, as free electrons move more
easily than positive ions, or, more exactly, electrons jumping
between positive ions.
But the difference in required electric field is small, or none.
Negative corona is almost invisible, and doesn't propagate forming
"streamers". It produces a characteristic hissing noise and doesn't
develop easily into arcs. Corona with visible light and that easily
forms arcs is positive, with electrons jumping between positive ions,
emitting light when recombining with the ions.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz