Re: Ed Wingate's Teslathon (async RSG & NST's)

Hi Gary,

 > Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau-at-hp-dot-com>

 > I too have often wondered about the origins of advising against the use
 > of async rotaries with NST's.  I've not been able to simulate nor think
 > of a scenario that would cause a hazardous voltage to occur, as long as
 > a gap fires at least once per mains half-cycle.

Here's one case you can simulate:  If the ARSG is exactly 120 BPS (and for a
while it looks like an SRSG with low drift lets say)  and the phase is
beyond peak at a value that will maximize voltage, the Cp is too small, and
the safeties are not set properly, you can get very high voltages.

Gerry R.