Re: Safety training..

Original poster: "Chris Roberts" <quezacotl_14000000000000-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hmmm... I remember my real eye opener experience... I was actually very
careful woth things like that before, but even more now. Was checking over
parts in my coil while a fellow student was getting the switch control
ready. I tightened a wire down, moved my hands back, and then heard that
special buzzing sound. Seems like the student plugged the thing in while
the switches were in the on position. I didn't get shocked, but man, I was
suprised enough it almost felt like it! I actually haven't ever been
unintentionally shocked by any high voltage thing, but that was well enough.
For a traning experience you could give them a bogus circut to examine.
Tell them that their job is to examine the circut and then tell you what it
does. Hide a sutibaly sized capacitor in the circut that will give them a
significant shock when they start fooling around with it. It sure worked
for a friend when he was examining the innards of a flash camera...

Original poster: "Jim Lux"

<Snip>

So... here's the's question. How can we come up with some sort of suitably
visceral training. When I started working with really HV (50 kV+), an old
guy (always a good sign in HV workers) suggested that I get a big Van
deGraaff and fool with it. No kidding... you get within a meter and the
hair literally stands up on your arm and you get zapped a couple times when
you don't expect it.. Less than a joule, but it stings, and you remember
it.

At work, it's even more insidious, because we're working with high power
microwaves (although the 1kV, 10 Amp supply for the HF amplifier gives me
the willies, but unfortunately, it doesn't do the same for the young
engineer working with it) which you can't see, or feel, until it's too late
(no evil hiss of corona, etc.). That whole, oops the waveguide flange
wasn't tightened, etc. kind of thing. (or the, don't look into the open
waveguide with your remaining good eye, thing).

What I! 'm looking for is good ways to give people that "if I'm not careful,
I, or someone else, will die" feeling.

-Chris