Re: Ozone levels

Original poster: "Devon Ferns" <dferns@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I am going to build one with a spark gap, and not very high power at all, so hopefully it will reduce that.

Devon.

To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 03, 2004 12:13 AM
Subject: RE: Ozone levels

Original poster: "David Trimmell" <humanb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Small TCs run in a small room with little air flow would be a problem;
otherwise I would not be concerned. But, CW (continuous wave) solid state or
vacuum tube coils can produce copious amounts of NOx's (nitrogen oxides
usually only produced at higher powers >1KW) and Ozone, making for a nasty
but not quite IDLH environ.

Have fun,

David Trimmell

-----Original Message----- From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 7:20 PM To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx Subject: Re: Ozone levels

Hi,

For the size of coil you are thinking of, there should be no problem. Just
a fan to blow air around if there is any real concern.  Running time makes
a big difference too.

A few folks have ended up at the doctor's buy running much larger coils for
long times in closed rooms and not stopping when they should.  But you
should be able to "tune" you project just to give a nice "electrical smell"
without any harm at all.

Cheers,

         Terry

At 07:18 PM 12/2/2004, you wrote: >Hello list, > >I am building a tesla coil for a university project. It must be >interactive for the public. >I have heard that it will produces some ozone because of the ionized air. > >I know ozone is very reactive and doesn't last long at these altitudes >before recombining >as oxygen molecules. > >My question is, how much do tesla coils produce? It will obviously be >related to the size >of the sparks, so for this reason, I am going to build a pretty small >coil, with sparks only a foot or two >in length. > >Are their any potential problems from the ozone? > >Thanks, >Devon.