Re: Ozone levels

Hi Devon,

At 07:17 PM 12/3/2004, you wrote:
Thanks for everyone's inputs.  So the concensus seems that if
anything, I must have a pretty well ventilated room.

I had the idea of enclosing the coil inside a plexiglas case to
protect from electric shock to the viewers, but as well, I think
it would be enough to contain any gasses produced.

Ozone and NOx gasses from the sparks will attack the plastic, weaken it and turn it brown:

http://www.ttr.com/model13c.html

Bill's big gap here literally filled with brown gasses!!

Maybe tempered glass would be better. Bill's wonderful coil here may give you ideas too:

http://www.ttr.com/its_model9.html

http://www.ttr.com/Fry-coil.htm

http://www.ttr.com/gpo_2.htm

Any thoughts on this?  From what I can tell, it should still work the same.

Does a tesla coil need air to discharge?  I also thought of filling the
case with argon or some inert gas.  I also thought that this might
affect the amount of sparks produced because it probably wouldn't
be as conductive.

The arcs will be about 5X longer in argon!! Nitrogen would be the best choice there I think. But just air should be fine. The problem with the fancy gasses is that they all do odd things to the spark behavior. Arcs travel about 5X longer in argon.

Cheers,

        Terry

Devon.