DRSSTC IGBT fault currents

Hi All,

Although there is a ton of guess work here, I tried to model the situation in an DRSSTC where on of the IGBTs shorts:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/DRSSTC-04-IGBTfault.gif

At 140mS, I short the top one.  1mS later the bottom one shorts:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/DRSSTC-04-IGBTfault-out.gif

Initial current spike is 5700 amps and the power to the "remaining" IGBT hits 1.2 MegaWatts! In the next millisecond it dissipates about 100 joules with a ~2000 amp square wave.

Not sure if it means much, but it does give a hint at what happens when an IGBT fails.

Cheers,

	Terry