Ozone toxicity was: Re: Fun with Argon

Original poster: Mddeming@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 12/5/04 12:48:20 AM Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Original poster: Gary Franklin <Franklin.Gary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Matt,

What an impressive list of references. But I base my opinion on my
personal experience. I have an ozone air purifier in my residence that
produces enough ozone to destroy a rubber band in a couple of days. I
have been operating that machine continuously since 1997. Molds and odor
don't last long in than environment. I have breathed ozone, drank water
saturated with ozone, and injected it intravenously without harmful
effects. So, you can probably tell that I don't have a lot of respect
for experts' opinion.

It seems that the problem is ozone that is generated with sparks. All
the ozone I make with three different machine use high voltage cold
corona discharge which means no sparks to generate the nitrogen oxides.
Tesla got a patent for this method.

Here is an article (c) 1986, written be another chemist who tried to
kill a mouse with ozone and failed.
http://www.oxygenmedicine.com/ozonetoxicity.html

But the real question: Has anyone noticed any unusual effects from
working with the inert gases?

GF

Hi Gary,

One must consider the quality as well as quantity of references. The "Journal of Borderland Research" and the Borderland Research Institute itself is a well-known promoter of New Age fringe science (purple energy, perpetual motion, crystal healing, UFOs, healing rays, and other such pseudoscience.).
From a scientific point of view, two of the most notable things about his article are
1) Total lack of quantitative data, making the experiment unreproduceable.
2) Lack of any credentials including even his real name. (Merlin is obviously a pseudonym)

He does come to one not so startling conclusion that ozone mixed with NOx forming nitric acid in the lungs is more corrosive than ozone mixed with oxygen. but that's a far cry from "It's not Toxic". The use of an "Ionic Breeze" type unit was a safe bet, because they could not be legally marketed if their maximum output was anywhere near the 1 PPM toxic limit.
One of the reasons ozone is used for water purification is the fact that it breaks down within seconds, killing organisms and leaving only water rich in normal O2 behind. ie water that has been "ozonated" is harmless by the time you get it into your drinking glass. The effect of ozone on rubber was one of the early qualitative analytical tests used to detect trace amounts of ozone.
Toxicity is not a matter of expert opinion. It is the result of careful quantitative analysis conducted in reputable laboratories over many years.

In Tesla's Ozone Generator Patent #568,177 there is no claim or mention whatsoever of the chemical or biological effects of ozone, but he did specify that his device used electrical discharges in ordinary air, not an oxygen atmosphere.

There is a big difference between one individual not experiencing noticeable toxic effects and a substance being intrinsically harmless. Up until about age 30, I was able to pick poison ivy without developing any itch or blisters. IMO, "Look at me, I ain't dead yet" falls somewhat short of a U/L or OSHA endorsement. I would consider it unconscionable to tell newbies that ozone is harmless, but we must each have our comfort levels. (I don't endorse smoking either, although my great-grandmother smoked until she was 90)

Matt D.