RE: The 1500t secondary myth (long)

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau@xxxxxx>

For my 15/60 coil, the sync RSG configuration beats all static gaps I've
tried hands-down.  Although it's tempting to focus on other things, one
has to remember that streamer length is a function of bang size.  So for
the same available power, a low BPS SRSG will out-perform a higher BPS
gap, and a static gap will have a higher average BPS.

Static gaps also have widely-varying bang-sizes that are as chaotic in
magnitude as in timing (a little known fact!), so one is forced to
reduce the coupling so that the largest, infrequent bangs do not cause
racing sparks.  Since SRSG bangs are all the same size, the coupling may
be adjusted so they are all just below racing spark threshold.

Exactly why I was able to use such a large Cp is unclear and research
into this is on my to-do list.  Big top loads are also necessary.

Trying the SRSG on my 4/20 mini-coil is also on my list, and although it
would still conform to the contest rules, it strains the definition of
"mini".  If I can get the gap clearance small enough to work with 4kV,
it _should_ boost performance to a new level.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA