RE: first light

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau@xxxxxx>

Hi Andy:

I assume your temporary primary is solid, not stranded?  Stranded is
definitely not good.  Is there a reason for the wide 1" primary turns
spacing?  That will end up using more wire with somewhat (?) higher
losses, and when you re-do it with Cu tubing with 1/2" spacing, you'll
find you need a different number of turns.

Have you experimented with the pri-sec coupling?  Lowering the primary
until you get racing sparks, then backing off, will help performance.

I'd recommend using a higher capacitance, up to .01uF, though this may
not be a low budget item.

What is the surface of your top load like?  If it's very irregular and
you get multiple streamers and corona, that will reduce the performance.

A single static gap will require significant airflow to perform well,
and carriage bolt electrodes may require a more focused airflow directly
through the arc than a simple fan will provide.  Two parallel copper
pipes may do better.

Although I doubt the RF ground will affect performance one way or the
other (it mostly affects how much EMI gets into your power mains), I'm
not sure the 90lb anvil is an excellent choice.  I think a length of
aluminum foil (more is better) spooled out on the concrete floor will
provide a better RF ground.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

NST; 2
> parallel rolled poly caps for a total of ~6.44nF; primary: 12T 14G
copper
> wire spaced ~1" between turns; static spark gap consisting of 2 1/4"
> carriage bolts and a fan for quenching; 4.5" x 17.75" secondary wound
with
> 22G magnet wire; flex torroid of 15" avg diameter by 5" section
> diameter. Oh yeah, Rf ground: 90lb anvil on a concrete floor with a
wet
> rag between them.
> At any rate, I tuned the system as best I could and found that at best
> was seeing 9" strikes to a grounded conductor. Even then, the sparks
I was