Re: Color Fades in discharges

Original poster: Mddeming@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 12/6/04 11:51:46 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Hi Matt and all,
Yes I can see where burned air on that scale would
be a problem. I wish I had the narrow band spectra gear to do that but I'm
sure, as you say, it
would be a long project. Also, from your list, I could end up with a good
chunk of periodic table.
Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,

Another thing to consider which supports the argument for oxidation products causing the whitening is that partially ionized molecules tend to have a spectra of fuzzy bands, rather than the crisp lines of elements, especially the monatomic gasses. These blendings tend to appear whitish to the naked eye.

Matt D.