Re: magnifier questions

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list, by way of Terry Fritz wrote:

> Original poster: Dieter.Boeckeler@xxxxxxxxxxx ( =?iso-8859-1?Q?"Dieter_Böckeler"?=
>
> Hi all,
> I´m a german coiler and I´m new on this list,
> but I often read in the list archives.
> My first project was a 4" coil,which performed well.
> And now my second project is building a relativ large magnifier and I´ve a
> few questions.
> The magnifier should operate at mode 2,3,6

The problem with trying the optimum designs in a magnifier intended to
produce sparks in open air are two: The coupling between the primary and
secondary coils results quite tight, and it's difficult to make the
capacitance required across the secondary coil. Look for a mode where
the last multiplier is high, and the C2 capacitance results small enough
to be a distributed capacitance. Another problem is that it will be
difficult to obtain adequate quenching in the very low modes. Maybe
better to aim as something as 4:5:...

> How much topload should I use?
> normally I would drop the resonator to around 70khz.

Large toploads are a good idea. See what you can build without reducing
excessively the voltage gain. Try to keep the maximum output voltage
somewhat above the breakout voltage of the terminal that you use, to
avoid the need of breakout poits.

> The second question:
> The coupling:
> I´ve calculated with magsim k=0.56.
> With the flat primary i could only go to k=0.45

A wide and short secondary coil with a flat primary can result in quite
high couplings. Increase the mode multipliers to obtain something that
you can build.

> With optmag I simulate this and get a somewhat lower output voltage.
> And the last question:
> Will my magnifier work?

At low power, it will perform exactly as the linear lumped theory
predicts.
At high power, after breakout (somewhere), it's difficult to predict
what will happen.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz