Re: new coil

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 12/13/04 9:01:28 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Thanks for the suggestions! I will probably end up making my second coil a
four inch one like the one you suggested, but for now I want to see how
efficient I can make a tabletop coil so that I can make the rest of my
coils as efficient as the tabletop one. I am on a low budget, so I will
make a vacuum gap until I can afford a SRSG. the calculations I have used
say that an .0088 uF capactior is best, so I was wondering if an .01 uF
capacitor would be OK. Also, my local Home Depot doesn't sell 2" aluminum
ducting, so I was wondering what material i should use for the toriod.
Finally, where could i get all of the parts for the Terry Filter?

Thanks again!
Blake

Well either capacitor size you mention should work fine.  Just
don't make the spark gaps too wide, so the NST is protected.
Small capacitors can work well in a coil but will not give very
long sparks.  For example I have a small coil at my website
that uses a 9/30 NST.  It uses a rather small 0.00125uF cap.
It gives 9" sparks from a 1.5" x 4.5" toroid.  I used the bottoms
of either plastic 2 liter coke bottles to make the toroid.  Not
the black plastic, but the clear inner plastic of the bottle.
You may be able to use some sort of metal bowl type item as
a toroid.  I don't know where to get the Terry filter parts.
You can use smaller resistors than Terry recommends, they'll
just run hotter.  I forget how small he said they can actually
be.

John