RE: Aluminum tape problems?

Original poster: "john cooper" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Okay, I can't take it anymore. In my early days of coiling, I've constructed several toroids using al ducting and al tape with an al center disk. Specifically, I'll refer to a toroid that's 24" o.d. with a 7" chord (got larger ones similarly constructed). And I've not had any problems with the al tape that I've used, although I do use cu tape for my cu spheres (gotta be color coordinated).

The pics of this toroid are now on a new page of my web:

http://www.tesla-coil.com/Toroids.htm

It has never shown any sign of unexpected arcing but these do not approach the effectiveness of a spun al toroid. You'll cut your costs by approx. 1/3 by using one of these. I hope the photos are sufficiently clear but feel free to contact me for further details. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

John F. Cooper
Irvine, CA
www.Tesla-Coil.com & .org