Re: 18,000. AMP high energy Cap bank

Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx
In a message dated 12/17/04 9:14:29 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
>> How does one limit these current levels? If a energy discharge cap
>> system has an ultimate safe rating of (say) 20kA, how does one make sure
>> that current isn't exceeded during an experiment that vaporizes a specimen?
Don't forget that this is a linear system... You can charge the capacitor
to a lower voltage, close the switch and measure the currents with a conventional oscilloscope. Then just scale.
Is it still a linear system if you vaporize a wire, or discharge through a gas tube? Are small vaporizations linear to higher-energy ones? Or is a good hefty chunk of copper pipe (or other low-inductance load that will survive) a good "worst case short circuit" to presume and work backward from there?
-Phil LaBudde

.

Phil,

It can be argued that the inclusion of an exploding wire or a spark gap switch in the loop will introduce a degree of nonlinearity into the system. However, by purposely adding a known robust and fixed inductance between the capacitor bank and the load, conservation of energy will still limit the worst case short circuit current for a given capacitor bank voltage. Since this limit assumes a perfect switch and a zero ohm load, it will be the worst case current that can delivered by the capacitor bank (assuming no capacitor failures within the bank).

Adding any imperfect switching or nonlinear (but passive) load effects into the discharge path can only result in a lower peak current. This is analogous to estimating the worst case "bolted fault" short circuit current when sizing the interrupting capacity of circuit breakers and fuses in commercial electrical power systems.

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by huge magnetic fields,
Lichtenberg Figures ("Captured Lightning" in acrylic), & Out-of-Print