Re: Leaky Pig

The term comes from the power industry. Sort of a slang term where officially it is a "pole distribution transformer". I think the term "pig" just came from the fact that they are fat, grey, heavy and don't move easily. There are some other names they are called (like when they get dropped through the hood of the line truck) I won't repeat :-#

The term pig also seems to imply a "cute little" transformers as opposed to the normal "house sized" variety for the big power industry.

I guess I never questioned the term. It always seemed to fit perfectly from the day I heard it. In fact, it was years latter I found out that pole distribution transformer was what you were "supposed" to call them. But everyone who actually touched them (as opposed to the desk guys) calls them pigs...

Cheers,

        Terry