Re: tabletop coil first light

At 10:54 AM 12/22/2004, you wrote:
Original poster: hue jass <chesscactuar@xxxxxxxxx>

Hello

I got my new coil running today. the specs are as follows: 9/30 NST power supply, 5 segment spark gapmade with copper couplings, ~7nF beer bottle cap, 8 turn primary made with 1/4" copper tubing (tapped at about turn 5.5), secondary coil form is 1.86" OD PVC pipe, 740 turns 28 AWG magnet wire (~10" winding length), topload is a 2.5 inch sphere ( plan on getting a bigger topload) first time i turned it on i got about 2" streamers. With a little bit of tuning i got 3" streamers and 5" sparks to a flourescent light bulb. I have 2 questions: 1. How much of an improvement could i expect with an 8pF topload and 2. would electrical tape help control corona around the edge of my beer bottles? Also, strikes to a flourescent light bulb where bright blue and there was almost no heating of the bottles, which leads me to believe that beer bottle caps aren't such a bad option. Thanks for the help.

Blake

Good going so far..

How long a spark can you get to a grounded rod? (this is a better measure than free air streamer length)

A better topload will help. Toroidal ones have better field control than spheres. Think about getting some small pie pans (tart pans) and one of those foam "noodle" pool toys (or a 2-3" diameter foam insulation for pipes). Put two pie pans bottom to bottom (making what looks like a big pulley. Then wrap the foam around the groove, and then cover it with aluminum tape. You can also use a styrofoam "christmas wreath" form.

What's the bottom of the secondary connected to? Do you have a decent ground plane under the coil? A 3x3 or 4x4 foot piece of chicken wire can help a lot.

How long are the wires from beer bottle cap bucket to the primary? Where's the corona? At the tops of the bottles? at the water surface? A bit of oil (1/4" layer) on the water surface can help. Messy, but works.